Review of my Shark SpeedR Carbon helmet
|Shark SpeedR helmet|
I wanted a full-face helmet, without a flip-up. And I wanted a internal sun-visor. Also I would prefer a helmet that is not too heavy. And that all within a price range of 8.000 - 14.000 Thai baht. So I did some research and found two brand names sold in Thailand .... AGV and Shark.
AGV is an originally Italian brand name, but some helmets of AGV are made in China. Asian specification they call that. They are still good helmets, approved in Europe. But not approved in Thailand so there are limited points of sale for it. Shark is an originally France brand name, but some models are made in Thailand (like the Speed-R). Again also good helmets and approved in Europe and even approved in Thailand. Unfortunately these helmets are not for sale in the place where I live (Khon Kaen), so I did find 3 shops selling them in Bangkok (BKKspeed, 320sp and Kamix). I bought my helmet at BKKspeed, the first shop where I went. See Shark Speed-R Carbon
I did choose the Shark Speed-R with Carbon outer shell for few main reasons :
- Weight as Shark seems lighter as other helmets and the Carbon version is again 100gr lighter
- Shark Speed-R helmets have a feature that makes it easy for people wearing glasses
- Shark helmets look a bit better quality as other helmets (Asian specification).
- Feels good, but a bit tight (that is better now after a few months)
- Putting on my glasses is indeed easy (the best helmet for people using glasses!)
- Sun-visor could be more dark
- Comfortable in my neck
- With open visor the helmet makes a irritating noise (above 30 km/h)
- Up-to about 120km/h no bouncing of the helmet
- But a bit zooming noise
- No incoming wind (I ride a naked bike)
- Update 2017 : The inner-lining is a bit falling apart
- Update 2018 : But still using the helmet
- Update 2019 : But still using the helmet although the up/down mechanism from the internal sun-visor is broken.
- Update 2020 : The helmet needs to be replaced before next riding season (if any).
- Update 2020 : The helmet has been replaced