Travel Tips : Visa for Thailand

This is about staying legally in Thailand. To be able to stay in Thailand you will need a visa or visa exemption. And I read many time questions about visa for Thailand. Or about overstaying, especially with the new rules since 20 march 2016. Or about extending your stay in the Kingdom of Thailand. So I will try to explain it a little bit. The best and most up-to-date information can be found at the web-site of the Immigration Office of Thailand. But to help you a bit I did make an overview. So let's make it clear ....
  • Once inside Thailand you CANNOT GET a VISA. Visa's are given by embassies and consulates, and as of their nature they are ALWAYS outside their native country. 
  • Once inside Thailand, the Thai Immigration can change visa's and they can give you an "Extension of Stay". They can also give you a fine or arrest your for overstaying in Thailand. 
  • Most people on holiday in Thailand will get a "Entry Stamp" based on "Visa Exemption" or "Visa on Arrival". See Summary of Countries and Territories entitled for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival to Thailand. This is NOT a VISA.
  • Other people will get a "Entry Stamp" based on the visa they have in their passport.
  • The number of days to stay in Thailand depends on the way of arrival (Over-land or Air) and your nationality. And of course it depends on if you have a visa and what kind of visa.
The most important thing to do when you arrive in Thailand .....  CHECK the date of the "Entry Stamp". And be sure to remember to exit Thailand BEFORE the date that your "Entry Stamp" expires.

This is how a "Entry Stamp" looks like. It mentions where you did enter Thailand and the date that you did enter Thailand. And most important it mentions the date until you can stay in Thailand. Before leaving the Immigration check-point check if this date is correct. Remember this date! Please read Travel Advice

If you want to stay longer in Thailand as that date then go to the nearest Immigration office and apply for an "Extension of Stay". At the moment that costs 1.900 Thai baht. And the number of days that you are given depends on the reason for application.

So before you ask questions be sure to know the difference between VISA, Entry-Stamp, Visa On Arrival (VOA) or Extension of Stay. A visa is basically a letter of recommendation for the immigration officer to give you an "Entry Stamp".

Popular Posts

Enjoying the view at 29 Healing Space in Pua

Walking over the Rainbow Bridge in Chiang Klang

Overlooking the valley of Pua from the Wat Phra That Chom Chaeng in Pua

Traveling in Bangkok in Central Thailand

Enjoying the view at Phu Vae View Home in Manipruek

On the motorbike from Pua to Song Kwae

Visiting Phitsanulok again

Rice harvest in Pua

Visiting the temple of the Golden Buddha in Bangkok

A day trip to Phu Hin Chang Si near Khon Kaen