Staying up-to-date with my home country
But my driver-license is valid until this year (2017), so that will have to be renewed. In the old days this was very easy, now it is a bit more difficult. Luckily the new driver license will be also valid for 10 years. How to get a new driver-license from my home country?
First step "Get Application Form" 🆗
Apply digitally for an application form, that will be send to my family in my home-country. My family will send to it to me in Thailand.
How to get that? Well the immigration office could give me an "Letter of Residence" but that would be in Thai. That would then have to be translated officially, stamped officially, etc. Too much work. Luckily my embassy can give me an "Letter of Residency". And luckily I can do that by mail. This will take about 10 days. What my embassy needs :
- Complete filled in application form
- Letter stating what document I need and why
- Contact information
- Copy of holder-page of passport + visa page
- 1.130 Thai baht (bloody expensive!)
- Document stating my address, like copy of rental contract or electric bill
- Envelop with my address and 50 Thai baht in stamps
Fill in the application form for extension of my driver license, pay 30 Euro, supply all documents and send it back to my home country. Application form has been received in my home country. They need :
- Application Form with pass-photo
- Copy of my passport
- Proof of address in Thailand
- Old driver-license.
10 working days after receiving my application they will send my new driver-license to my mail address in my my home country. And they allow they mail to take up-to 3 working days to deliver the new driver-license. So yes it took 13 days after receiving my application to really receive my new driver-license.