Road Condition Update : Route 101 and other routes in Nan province
Here a oversight of road conditions in Nan province, North Thailand as of April 2018. Be aware that road conditions can change very quick, good roads now are no guarantee for good roads tomorrow.
Route 101Basically this all route is in good condition all the way from Phrae, entering Nan and ending at Huai Kon at the Thai - Lao border. But there are a few things you should know
- In the section between Phrae and Wiang Sa are at 2 places road constructions going on to make the road 4 lanes. This road constructions will be going on for at least 6 to 10 months. The most northern part is almost finished but the southern part is not even at 50%.
- At Tha Wang Pha (45km north of Nan town) is construction going on for making a 4 lane bridge. This work is now at 50% and I assume it will be going on for at least 6 months.
- The bridge crossing the Nan River just south of Tha Wang Pha is new but in bad condition, do not drive fast there.
- Many parts (most?) of route 101 is 4 lanes, some parts are still old 2 lanes like near Chiang Klang.
- From Thung Chang to Huai Kon route 101 is 2 lanes but is reasonable good condition. But the last 3km to the border is in bad condition with a lot of put holes.
- Route 1256 from Pua to Bo Klua : This route is basically for 70% in good condition after recent road constructions that are now finished. The last part if still in old condition but reasonable good.
- Route 1081 from Huai Kon to Bo Klua : Is in poor condition. About 10km north of Bo Klua road construction is going on, although I assume this will be finished soon.
- Route 1081 from Bo Klua to Pua : In good condition. About 10km south of Bo Klua there is road construction going on at 2 small bridges. And about 20km further are so parts of the road swopped away by landslides. But they are marked very well.
- Route 1333 (1350) and route 1257 : This both routes are the back route to/from Bo Klua and are in mixed condition of reasonable to bad. Especially route 127.
- Route 1169 from Nan to Santisuk : This route is mostly in good condition although there might still be some road construction going on at some parts.
- Route 1169 from Nan to Mae Charim : This route is all in good condition.
- Route 1243 from Mae Charim to Bo Bia in Uttaradit : This route is an mix of good, reasonable and bad condition. The beginning is good, then there is a long part with a lot of put holes. Then there is about 40km brand new road and a last 20km of old partly put holed road.
- Route 1026 from Wiang Sa to Pak Lai : Is all in reasonable to good condition with a few put holed or gravel sections.
- Route 1216 from Na Noi to route 101 : Is all in reasonable to good condition with a few put holed or gravel sections.
- Route 1083 from Na Noi to Uttaradit province : Is all in reasonable to good condition with a few put holed or gravel sections.
- Route 1091 from Nan to Phayao province : Is all in reasonable to good condition.
- Route 1148 from Tha Wang Pha to Chiang Rai province : Is all in reasonable to good condition. But with a lot of curves and some very steep curves.
- Route 1097 from Song Kwae to Chiang Klang : Is all in reasonable condition with a few put holes sections.
- Route 4017 to Manipruek : Is an mix from from reasonable to bad condition. And there might still be some road construction going on.
- Route 1307 to Phu Phayak : Is an mix from from reasonable to bad condition and very bad condition with a lot of put holes.