Travel Tips : My 18 favourite budget hotels in Thailand
After I did made a list of my 22 favourite luxury hotels some people commented that the hotels are a bit expensive. Yes indeed that was a list of not the cheapest hotels. So here I will go try to make a list of 18 of my favourite budget hotels that have a bit more friendlier price. Or the hotels are off the beaten track and many times not on any hotel list. All hotels listed here are hotels where I have stayed personally.
1. Bueang Kan - Mae Nam Kong Hotel
2. Bangkok - Nouvo City Hotel
3. Bangkok - River View Guesthouse
4. Chiang Rai - Kanlaya Place
5. Chiang Mai - Wangburapha Grand Hotel
6. Chiang Khong (Chiang Rai) - Mekong View Hotel
7. Chiang Khan (Loei) - Souk Somboon Guesthouse
8. Dan Sai (Loei) - Mountain Green ResortLoei province. It is actually not really a resort, although it has a huge garden. The rooms are simple but all rooms have Verandah or balcony, Free wifi, Private bathroom with shower, TV and Air-conditioning. In the cool season you can even go camping here. The Mountain Green Resort has private parking and small Thai style restaurant but of course no swimming pool. This Mountain Green Resort is best reached with your own transport. It is already a few years back that I did stay here for the last time so the probably lack of maintenance could change your experience when staying here. Still I love the location of this place with a great view over Dan Sai. Price tag between 500 - 800 Thai baht excl. breakfast.
9. Lampang - Hug Lampang Boutique HotelLampang downtown near the famous morning market. A great location to explore the lovely old downtown of Lampang. The Hug Lampang Boutique Hotel is situated in a very nice renovated corner shophouse with a typically 1970s design on the outside but inside modern decorated with wood and concrete. And no Hug Lampang Boutique Hotel does not offer a swimming pool, restaurant or parking. But Hug Lampang Boutique Hotel offers Free wifi, Bicycles and a very nice rooftop overlooking Lampang town. All 10 rooms are non-smoking and offer Air-conditioning, Private bathroom with shower, TV, Fridge and Free drinking water. I stayed here a few times and I think very good value for money. Price tag between 600 - 800 Thai baht excl. breakfast.
10. Loei - King Hotel
11. Nan - Nan Lanna HotelNan town. A great location to explore Nan town and within walking distance to the Wat Phumin and Nan National Museum. But no Nan Lanna Hotel does not offer a swimming pool or restaurant but they offer 10 non-smoking spacious colonial style rooms with Air-conditioning, TV, Fridge and Free drinking water. The Nan Lanna Hotel offers Free wifi and limited parking for cars and motorbikes. Although there is no real breakfast service you can enjoy free of charge coffee or tea and a snack in the morning. The Nan Lanna Hotel is my favourite hotel in town because of the big rooms, friendly staff and of course the price. I have stayed here a few times and I think it is good value for money. Price tag between 600 - 1.000 Thai baht excl. breakfast.
12. Pua (Nan) - Pawinsin ResortNan town. All rooms are non-smoking and have Private balcony overlooking the valley of Pua and the mountains of Doi Phu Kha. Of course Pawinsin Resort has no swimming pool but they offer a small restaurant annex coffee shop where they serve a lovely local breakfast while you enjoy the view over the rice-fields. The Pawinsin Resort has private parking for cars and motorbikes. All rooms have Private balcony, Private bathroom withs shower, TV, Air-conditioning and Free drinking water. The Pawinsin Resort is my favourite budget hotel in Pua because of the great location. Although it is just out of town it is still within walking distance of restaurants and the 7-11. Price tag between 600 - 900 Thai baht excl. breakfast.
13. Phayao - Huanpak Jumjai Homestay
14. Phitsanulok - Ayara Grand Palace Hotel
15. Phetchabun - Burapa HotelPhetchabun town but not within walking distance of the city center with restaurants. The Burapa Hotel has two buildings, the main building is the best one. The rooms are basic and old fashioned but cheap and clean. All rooms of the Burapa Hotel have Private bathroom, Air-conditioning, TV and Free drinking water. The Burapa Hotel serves a simple breakfast at their coffee shop. In the basement of the hotel is a nightclub and the hotel has private parking. I have stayed here a few times a few years ago and due to the probably lack of maintenance your experience at this hotel could vary from mine. The Burapa Hotel is a favourite hotel for motorbike riders because of the private parking. Price tag between 600 - 1.000 Thai baht excl. breakfast.
16. Sukhothai - Sabaidee HouseSukhothai city and in between the rice-fields. Sabaidee House has 14 rooms in a huge tropical garden. The rooms vary from very simple (bit older) rooms with fan to nice bungalows with air-conditioning next to their small swimming pool. Sabaidee House offers Free wifi, Tours, Bicycle rental, Private parking, Laundry service and a restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The English speaking staff is friendly and service minded. I did stay here only once but I would stay here again next time in Sukhothai. Be aware that Sabaidee House is about 400m from the main road. Price tag from 500 - 1.000 Thai baht incl. breakfast.
17. Uttaradit - The Light House ResortUttaradit town. All bungalows have Private bathroom, TV, Air-conditioning, Private balcony, Fridge and Free drinking water. Some rooms even have a small kind of living room with an TV and also a TV in the bedroom. Of course The Light House Resort does not have a swimming pool or restaurant. But The Light House Resort offers Free wifi and Private parking. Be aware that The Light House Resort is located in a local community and that there are no restaurants or shops nearby. The only Thai speaking staff is friendly but consists of only 1 person at the entrance. I have stayed here a few times and it is my favourite hotel in Uttaradit for a stop-over.
Update 2020 : This accommodation has changed into monthly rental