Travel Tips : Insurance in regards to scooter or motorbike riding in Thailand
Thailand is a great country to be traveling on your own, there is good public transport and most roads are good. So renting a scooter or motorbike (by law the same in Thailand) becomes popular. Not only on beach locations as Koh Samui, Pattaya or Phuket but also in North Thailand to make trips in the mountains.
But when renting a scooter or motorbike in Thailand there are a few things you should realise :
- All scooters or big motorbikes are by law both a motorbike.
- For a riding a motorbike you need a motorbike driver licence.
- If you do not have a motorbike driver license your travel insurance might not cover any costs when you have an accident.
- If you do not have a motorbike driver license also your healthcare insurance or accident insurance from your home-country might not cover any medial costs.
- By Thai law scooter and motorbikes need to have an compulsory insurance (third party insurance). But this insurance is very limited in cover for medical costs for yourself and none for damage to your own scooter or motorbike. And also limited in the cover of costs for the third party, both medical & damage to other vehicles. All other costs are YOUR responsibility.
- It is very unlikely that a rental scooter or motorbike has a full-insurance.
- Riding under the influence of alchohol or drugs might make any insurance invalid.
- Be aware that many people riding a scooter in Thailand do not have any insurance, so even if you are not at fault at a accident they do not have an insurance who will pay your costs. And if they do not have money then nobody is going to cover your costs. So you better take care that you can cover your costs. Upcountry this might also be the case for cars.
- If you do not have a motorbike driving license do not rent a scooter or motorbike.
- Check your travel insurance & healthcare insurance in regards to riding a motorbike.
- Check the insurance papers from the scooter or motorbike. If no valid compulsory insurance then do not rent the scooter or motorbike.