Traveling in Chanthaburi province along the Eastern Seaboard
Last year I did make a posting about counting all the provinces I had been in Thailand. And I saw I have been to (stayed in) 48 provinces out of the 76. So in the coming months I will travel via my postings from the most southern province I have been to the most northern province, with some photos and information about each province. This is part 20 of the 47 (out of the 77) provinces where I have at least stayed overnight once. Chanthaburi province is located along the Eastern Seaboard and borders to Cambodia. The capital town is of course Chanthaburi town (250 km from Bangkok), a provincial town build on a hills and with a big lake in town. The area of Chanthaburi is famous for its former gem-stone mining and shops. And nowadays famous for all its farming of fruit, especially the Durian. It is also the only area of Thailand that has been occupied by the France.
Personally I came for the first time to Chanthaburi in 2003, traveling to Soi Dao and Chanthaburi town. I discovered also that there is actually a beautiful coastline of rivers and mangroves and some very nice beaches. But for some reason there is almost no tourism, not from Thai and not from foreigners. Although example the area of Khao Soi Dao is really fantastic for outdoor activities and you will see stunning nature. Following are photos and information about Chanthaburi province.
How to get to Chanthaburi province?
- ✈️ Not by Air as is there is no airport, nearest airport is in Trat (TDX).
- By Car or Motorbike from Bangkok via Sukhunvit road (route 3) or Route 317 from Sa Keao
- By Bus from Suvarnabhumi Airport, Eastern Bus Terminal, Mochit Bus Terminal in Bangkok
- Not by Train as there is no rail-road
Popular destinations in Chanthaburi province
- Ban Phakard Thai-Cambodian International border to Pailin (Cambodia)
- Thai-Cambodian Border Markets Ban Phakard, Ban Leam, Saton, Phanom Proek and Klong Hat
- Chanthaburi Historical Town (in Chanthaburi town)
- Philo Waterfall (National Park)
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (in Chanthaburi town)
- Tuek Daeng (the Red Building)
- Nong Wong Fort
- Maritiem Museum
- Gem Stone Museum (in Chanthaburi town)
- Khao Khitchakut National Park
- Chao Lao Beach
- Khao Soi Dao (highly recommended)
- Fishing village Ko Proet