Traveling in Khon Kaen province in North-East Thailand
|Sunset over Bung Kean Nakorn Lake in Khon Kaen city|
Last year I did make a posting about counting all the provinces I had been in Thailand. And I saw I have been to (stayed in) 48 provinces out of the 76. So in the coming months I will travel via my postings from the most southern province I have been to the most northern province, with some photos and information about each province. This is part 37 of the 47 (out of the 77) provinces where I have at least stayed overnight once. Khon Kaen province is in the heart of North-East Thailand and a rapidly growing province. The capital town is Khon Kaen city what becomes more and more a kind of Bangkok suburb. In the north Khon Kaen province borders with Udon Thani, in the north-west to Loei province and Nong Bua Lamphu province. To the south-west Khon Kaen province borders to Chaiyaphum and to the south-east to Buriram province and Maha Sarakham province. And finally at the east is Kalasin province.
Personally it was around 1999 that I was for the first time in Khon Kaen and staying at the famous Roma Hotel. Medio 2003 and 2004 I did return a few times just as stop-over when traveling in North-East Thailand. But many years later I did even live in Khon Kaen city for a few years. Khon Kaen is not really a tourist destination, although it is a good place to experience normal modern life in Thailand. Just because not many tourists are going there. Khon Kaen city is home to the second biggest university of Thailand and is becoming the economical center of North-East Thailand. Khon Kaen city has of course many fresh markets, Night Market, all kind of hotels & homestays, Thai & Western restaurants and nightlife. For more information see my postings about Khon Kaen province. For travellers it might be convenient that in Khon Kaen city is a Lao consulate and a Chinese consulate.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Ubolratana Lake (40 km north-west of Khon Kaen city)
- Bung Kaen Nakhorn in Khon Kaen city
- Khon Kaen National Museum in Khon Kaen city
- Phu Hin Chang Si (near Ubolratana lake)
- Prasat Ku Kaew (Khmer ruin)
- Pattaya 2 beach (along Ubolratana Lake)
- Phu Wiang National Park
- Phu Wiang Dinosaur Museum
- Nam Phong National Park
- Wat Phra Mahathat Khon Nakhorn (along Bung Kaen Nakhorn )
- Dino Waterpark in Khon Kaen city
How to get to Khon Kaen province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 1 and route 2 (Mittraphap road).
- ✈️ the Airport of Khon Kaen (KKC) has daily flights from/to Bangkok (BKK & DMK)
- 🚞 the Train Station of Khon Kaen is along the Northern North-East Railroad between Bangkok and Nong Khai with daily trains commuting (also night trains).
- 🚌 from all major cities in North-East Thailand but also from Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Rayong and even Phuket.
|View over Ubolratana Lake in Khon Kaen province|