Traveling in Phrae province in North Thailand
Last year I did make a posting about counting all the provinces I had been in Thailand. And I saw I have been to (stayed in) 48 provinces out of the 76. So in the coming months I will travel via my postings from the most southern province I have been to the most northern province, with some photos and information about each province. This is part 41 of the 47 (out of the 77) provinces where I have at least stayed overnight once. Phrae province in North Thailand is mostly famous for its heritage of the teak industry in the last century. Phrae province is bordered by Nan province in the north, Uttaradit province and Sukhothai province in the south. And in the west Lampang province and a little bit of Phayao province. The capital town is of course Phrae town, a small provincial town with an nice historical center.
Although friends of me told me about the beauty of Phrae I did not find time to go there, so it was probably in 2013 that I stayed for the first time in Phrae town while making a motorbike trip in North Thailand. In the following years I did return a few times and I am starting to like the little town. It has an a kind of historical center with some beautiful old teak wooden houses. And upcountry there are rivers, mountains and waterfalls. For more information see also Destination Travel Guide Phrae.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Historical downtown of Phrae town
- Kad Khra Non Market (only on Saturday)
- Tour along old wooden houses like Khum Chao Luang Mansion
- Wat Jomsa Van
- Siri Thai Museum
- Tham Pha Nang Khoi (cave)
- Wiang Kosa National Park
- Doi Pha Klong National Park
- Mae Ta Forrest Park
- Pha Mueang Phi Forrest Park (stone formations)
- Vongbury Mansion Museum
- Wat Luang
- Ban Thung Hong (Mo Hom clothing)
- Wat Phra That Suthon Mongkhon Khiri
How to get to Phrae province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 32, route 117, route 11 and route 101.
- ✈️ the Airport of Phrae (UTY) is serving daily flights to Don Muang Airport in Bangkok
- 🚞 the nearest Train Station is in Den Chai (15 km south of Phrae)
- 🚌 from all major cities in North Thailand and of course from Bangkok.
|Wat Chom Sawan in Phrae, North Thailand|
|Siri Thai Museum in Phrae, North Thailand|
|Saturday Market in Phrae, Thailand|
|Food at the Saturday Market in Phrae, North Thailand|
|Pha Nang Khoi Cave in Phrae province, North Thailand|
|National Museum Phrae in an old teak wooden mansion|