Traveling in Sukhothai province in North Thailand
Last year I did make a posting about counting all the provinces I had been in Thailand. And I saw I have been to (stayed in) 48 provinces out of the 76. So in the coming months I will travel via my postings from the most southern province I have been to the most northern province, with some photos and information about each province. This is part 40 of the 47 (out of the 77) provinces where I have at least stayed overnight once. Sukhothai province is in between Central Thailand and North Thailand and mostly famous for its so called first capital town of Siam (as Thailand was named until 1932). Of course the capital town of Sukhothai province is also named Sukhothai. So there is the so called "old town" (the Historical Park) and the "new town" (modern Sukhothai) and they are about 10 km apart. Sukhothai town is a small provincial town, not yet totally run over by modernisation. On the west Sukhothai province is bordering Tak province and Lampang province. In the north with Phrae province and in the east with Uttaradit province and Phitsanulok province. And finally in the south with Kamphaeng Phet province (where you find Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park). Unfortunately many people just visit Sukhothai for a few hours to visit the center of the Historical Park. But even the greater Historical Park has so much more to offer. Just as the nearby villages, mountains and waterfalls. One could easily spend 3 nights in Sukhothai and see an all other Sukhothai as just the Historical Park.
Personally for me it was in 1992 that I was for the first time in Sukhothai to visit the Historical Park. And we stayed in the famous Ban Thai Guesthouse. And of course we did go bicycling and explored the local country side of Sukhothai. When living in Bangkok I would once & awhile escape the city and go to Sukhothai. Nowadays we still come back about once a year, just to visit friends and relax.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Sukhothai Historical Park
- Bicycling with Mem at Cycling Sukhothai Bicycle Tours
- Bicycling with Jib & Meaow at Sukhothai Bicycle Tour
- Si Satchanalai Historical Park
- Ramkhamhaeang National Park
- Ramkhamhaeng National Museum
- Night Market
How to get to Sukhothai province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 32, route 1 and route 12.
- ✈️ the Airport of Sukhothai (SUK) is serving daily flights Bangkok (DMK & BKK) by Bangkok Airways only (this is a private airport of Bangkok Airways) and is about 20 km north of Sukhothai town.
- 🚞 the nearest Train Station is in Phitsanulok
- 🚌 from all major cities in North Thailand and of course from Bangkok.