About Bo Klua & Ban Sapan in Nan province
Of course the Ancient Salt Pits of Bo Klua are just a excuse to go to Bo Klua, a small village in north-east corner of Nan province. Bo Klua is actually a district and the village everybody refers to as Bo Klua is actually Ban Bo Luang. The real beauty of Bo Klua lies of course in the remote, picturesque village of Ban Bo Luang in the scenic valley between the rugged mountains and jungle of Doi Phu Kha National Park bordering Laos. Bo Klua is about 90 km north of Nan town and is famous for its Ancient Salt Pits that are still producing salt the old fashioned way. In the old days Bo Klua's salt was an export product of the Nan Kingdom and the salt was sold to neighbouring kingdoms of Sukhothai, Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang. Going to Bo Klua is part of the journey as you will be going into the mountains up-to 1670m high, passing stunning viewpoints, camping grounds and Doi Phu Kha National Park where you could go for hiking to huge waterfalls. Bo Klua is a perfect destination to stay for 1 or 2 nights and enjoy authentic slow life in a mountain village. Luckily Bo Klua is not (yet) overrun by tourists and hardly any western tourist make it to Bo Klua. In the cool season Bo Klua begins to be a popular destination for Thai tourists, but the remote location keeps Bo Klua safe from becoming a place like Pai. Luckily there are a few hotels, restaurants and even 2 good coffee shops. Be aware that Bo Klua is about 90 km north of Nan town. For more information about Nan province have a look at Destination Travel Guide Nan.
How to get to Bo Klua & Ban Sapan?Although everybody speaks about Bo Klua you will actually be heading to Ban Bo Luang, what is the main village in Bo Klua district.
- 🚌 By public transport you will first have to take the Orange Bus from Nan town to Pua and then in Pua change to a Songtheauw to Bo Klua. You can privately hire a Songtheauw so you can make a nice trip to Bo Klua and stop along the way when you want.
- 🛵 By private car or motorbike just follow route 101 to Pua and then follow the signs for Doi Phu Kha National Park and follow route 1256 to Bo Klua.
|Ancient Salt Pits of Bo Klua|
What to do in Bo Klua?The main attractions of Bo Klua are the laid back location of the village Ban Bo Luang between the mountains and the Ancient Salt Pits of Bo Klua. For motorbike riders Bo Klua is famous for its Bo Klua Motorbike Loop. Other things to do in & near Bo Klua are :
- Hiking at the Doi Phu Kha National Park or Khun Nan National Park
- Swimming at Saphan Waterfall in the jungle of Khun Nan National Park
- See the Origin of the Nan River
- Wild Water Rafting in the Wa River
- Visiting Phu Fa Royal Project
- Bicycling in the valley of Bo Klua
Food & Beverages in Bo KluaWell the best place for lunch or dinner is the restaurant of Bo Klua View Resort but there are a few other places to eat & drink like near the bus-stop or near the Ancient Salt Pits. Coffee Shops usually serve of course Hot & Cold drinks and sometimes they also serve Cakes or Thai snacks.
Bo Klua town (actually Ban Bo Luang)
- Gin I Klua Restaurant & Coffee Shop, Thai food for Lunch & Dinner.
- Pongza Restaurant, Thai & Western food for Lunch & Dinner. 👍
- Tao Tan Restaurant, Thai food for Dinner.
- Salt Pit Coffee Shop
Along route 1081 from Bo Klua to Santisuk
Accommodation in Bo KluaOne of the best & most famous resort is Bo Klua View Resort but there are a few other nice (and much cheaper) accommodations to be found in Bo Klua.
Price category taking in account the high-season prices :
Accommodation in Bo Klua town (actually Ban Bo Luang)
- Arpo De Marng Resort & Camping ฿฿
- Bo Klua River Villa (10 km south of Bo Klua village)
- Bo Klua Fai Resort (1 km south of Bo Klua village) ฿
- Bo Klua View Resort (near the bridge) ฿฿฿ 👍
- Bo Klua Kong Dang Resort (1 km south of Bo Klua village) ฿ 👍
- Mon Sailom Homestay
- Phan Klong Homestay
- Phu Klua Home (in the village) ฿฿
- Phu Keng Dao Homestay
- Phu Ping Mork Homestay
- PlaiMang Tangrak Resotel (1 km south of Bo Klua village)
- Suan Rim Mang Camping
- The Seasons Hill Bo Klua
Accommodation in Ban Sapan
- At Mee Sapan Borklua Nan ฿฿
- Bo Klua River Hills
- Cabinwood @ Sapan ฿฿
- Me Sug Home ฿฿
- Oun I Mang Camping ฿฿
- Sapan See View ฿฿
- Sapan Retreat ฿฿
- Sapan Countdown ฿฿
- Song Mueng Camping ฿฿
Emergencies in Bo Klua
- District Hospital Bo Klua (along route 1256 in Bo Klua village)
Gasoline stations in Bo Klua
- A very small one at a shop on the main street in Bo Klua (near the Ancient Salt Pits)
- A small one about 10 km south of Bo Klua along route 1081
Where to go next?
MoneySince end 2019 there are finally a few ATM's in Bo Klua town in the main street near the famous Ancient Salt Pits.
Map of Ban Bo Luang / Bo Klua
Map of Ban Sapan
Route from Nan to Ban Bo Luang / Bo Klua
|Route from Nan town to Bo Klua in North Thailand|