About Thung Chang & Manipruek in Nan province
Thung Chang is a small town near the Nan River and is about 90 km north of Nan town. Thung Chang is the perfect base to explore the northern part of Nan province for hiking and hill-tribes in the green mountains. It is also the first place with an 7/11 and ATM you will see when coming from Laos via the International Border Crossing Huai Kon. There are a few hotels & guesthouses and even a few small restaurants & coffee shops. For more information about Nan province have a look at Destination Travel Guide Nan.
|View over the mountains of Thung Chang in Nan province|
How to get to Thung Chang?
- By public transport take the bus from Nan town to Thung Chang. Or take one of the inter-regional busses or mini-van's doing this same route from Nan bus-station and passing Thung Chang.
- By private car or motorbike just follow route 101 north of Nan town, passing Tha Wang Pha, Pua and as last Chiang Klang before arriving in Thung Chang.
- By public transport you will have to arrange a Song Theauw to Manipruek.
- By private car or motorbike follow the signs for Manipruek along route 101 and take route 4017 to Manipruek.
What to do in Thung Chang?Well the little town of Thung Chang itself does not offer much more as a weekly market, but it is the location that offers great opportunities for hiking, bicycling and experiencing the real local Thai way of life. It is also a great base to explore the Hmong & Yao villages at Manipruek or caves in the mountains of Doi Phu Kha. Read my travel blog postings about Thung Chang or Manipruek
Food & Beverages in Thung ChangAlong the main road (route 101) are a few small Thai restaurants and Coffee Shops. But as there is no real center of Thung Chang the restaurants are also a bit spread along the main road (what is basically the only road in Thung Chang).
Accommodation in Thung ChangThere are a few resorts, hotels and guesthouses in Thung Chang, our favourite is Siam Garden Bungalows.
Price category taking in account the high-season prices :
- Nice Resort ฿
- Siam Garden Bungalows ฿
- Thung Chang Hill Resort ฿฿