This is part 29 of the 48 (out of the 77) of all the provinces in Thailand I have stayed at least 1 night. Loei province is in the north-west of North-East Thailand and borders the Mekong River and Laos. Loei province is home to high mountains, national parks and rivers. The capital town is of course Loei town, a modern small provincial town with a few hotels, restaurants and pubs. Loei town is not really a tourist destination but a favourite place for motorbike riders to stay overnight. But Loei province is a beautiful remote province ... Pai Loei! If you like some help with organizing your holiday anywhere in Thailand send me an email at Chang Noi @ Traveling in Thailand.
The first time I was in Loei province was in 1995 when I took the local bus from Nong Khai to Loei town, in those days that was traveling with chickens in an open-air bus while standing. Much later, around 2012, when I was living in Khon Kaen I started to make motorbike rides to Loei provinces and it is one of my favourite provinces of North-East Thailand. Remote and many mountains. My favourite places to go are Chiang Khan (watch sunset over the Mekong River and walk over Walking Street Market), Dan Sai and a lunch at Huai Krating Lake (lunch on a bamboo raft). See all my postings about Traveling in Loei province.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Chiang Khan along the Mekong River ⭐️
- Phu Reua National Park (mountain like a ship)
- Phu Kradung National Park
- Dan Sai
- Phi Tha Khon Festival in Dan Sai
- Erawan Cave
- Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary (wild elephants)
- Phu Suan Sai National Park
- Suan Hin Pa Ngam (Kunming Rock Garden)
- Phu Tok (watch sunrise over Mekong River and Laos)
- Huai Krating Lake (lunch on bamboo raft) ⭐️
How to get to Loei province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 1 and route 21. From Udon Thani via route 201 and route 210. From Nong Khai via route 211 and route 201.
- ✈️ the Airport of Loei (LOE) has daily flight to/from Don Muang Airport in Bangkok with Air Asia.
- 🚞 nearest train station is in Phitsanulok or Udon Thani.
- 🚌 from all major cities in North-East Thailand and of course from Bangkok. But also from Chiang Mai or Phitsanulok.
|Sunset in Loei town, North-East Thailand|
|Lunch at Huai Krating lake in Loei, Thailand|
|Crossing the border from Thailand to Laos at Tha-Li|
|Sunset over the Mekong River at Chiang Khan, Thailand|