This is part 28 of the 48 (out of the 77) of all the provinces in Thailand I have stayed at least 1 night. Most people will know Nakhon Phanom as the gateway to explore the limestone mountains of Tha Khek in Laos. But Nakhon Phanom is a nice town to stay along the mighty Mekong River. Of course Nakhon Phanom was originally the trading town with Laos & Vietnam. And Nakhon Phanom gained economical status during the Vietnam War when the US Airforce did build & use the airport in Nakhon Phanom. Personally for me it was in 2012 that I was for the first time in Nakhon Phanom town, as part of a trip following the Mekong River from Nong Khai to Ubon Ratchathani. I love the architectural heritage with colonial style buildings or a sunset over the Mekong River and Laos with the limestone mountains of Tha Khek in the background. Around the old Vietnamese Clock Tower are some nice restaurants & pubs.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge 3 (International Border Crossing)
- The Mekong River
- Wat Phrathat Phanom in That Phanom
- Cultural & Architectural heritage from Laos & French
- Former home of Ho Chi Minh.
- Old Governors House & Museum
- IndoChina Market
How to get to Nakhon Phanom province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 1, route 2 and route 22.
- ✈️ the Airport of Nakhon Phanom (KOP) is serving daily flights to Don Muang Airport in Bangkok with Air Asia.
- 🚞 nearest Train Station is in Udon Thani.
- 🚌 from all major cities in North-East Thailand and of course from Bangkok.