This is part 31 of the 48 (out of the 77) of all the provinces in Thailand I have stayed at least 1 night. Phitsanulok province is in North Thailand and borders on the east side with North-East Thailand (Loei province and Phetchabun province. In the north Phitsanulok province borders with Uttaradit province and even a little bit with Laos. On the west side you will find Sukhothai province. Of course the capital town is Phitsanulok town and most tourist will know it as a place to stay overnight on their way to Sukhothai or Chiang Rai. For Thai people Phitsanulok is know for its famous Phra Phutta Chinnarat Buddha statue at the Wat Yai.
Personally I started to come to Phitsanulok begin 2000, always just staying in Phitsanulok town. Beginning 2013 I started to ride motorbike and explore more of Phitsanulok province. Like Phu Hin Rong Khla National Park, my favourite route to ride motorbike. And home to the HQ of the former Communist Party of Thailand. On the east side of Phitsanulok just along route 12 is the Khek River that is famous for wild water rafting and the Keang Song Waterfall. Although I have been many times in Phitsanulok there is still a lot to explore in upcountry Phitsanulok province.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Wat Phra Si Ratana Mahathat (Wat Yai) with the famous Phra Phutta Chinnarat Buddha statue
- Phitsanulok Night Bazar along the Nan River
- Phu Hin Rong Khla National Park (100 km east of Phitsanulok town)
- Thung Salaeng Luang National Park (partly also in Phetchabun province)
How to get to Phitsanulok province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 32, route 1 and route 117 (although Google Maps would show route 11 to Phitsanulok).
- ✈️ the Airport of Phitsanulok (PHS) is on the south side of town and is serving flights to Don Muang Airport.
- 🚞 the Train Station of Phitsanulok is along the Northern Railroad between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
- 🚌 from all major cities in North Thailand and of course from Bangkok.
|Ancient temples in Phitsanulok town|
|Lava rock at Phu Rong Khla|