This is part 26 of the 48 (out of the 77) of all the provinces in Thailand I have stayed at least 1 night. Udon Thani province is in the northern-center part of North-East Thailand. And of course the capital town is Udon Thani what is slowly becoming one of the big cities of North-East Thailand. Udon Thani is many times also just called Udon. Udon Thani town thanks its early economical growth to a big USA airport during the Vietnam War. And nowadays with Central Shopping Mall, International Airport, many hotels, restaurants and even bars it has become a popular place for expats to be living.
Personally for me it was in 1999 that I was for the first time in Udon Thani, just for 1 night as a stop-over traveling by bus. Later when I was living in Khon Kaen I would come many times in Udon Thani, although the town has not much to offer for tourists. While traveling in North-East Thailand Udon Thani town might make a great break in your traveling. And although the town might not be significant the all, the province has much more to offer as you might think. Photo above is the Wat Pha Phu Kon, photos below are Phu Phrabat Historical Park and the Red Lotus Lake.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Red Lotus Lake (20 km south of Udon Thani town)
- Phu Phrabat Historical Park (66 km north-west of Udon Thani town)
- Wat Pha Phu Kon (60 km north-west of Udon Thani)
How to get to Udon Thani province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 1 and route 2.
- ✈️ the Airport of Udon Thani (UTH) is at Udon Thani city and serves daily flights to Bangkok (DMK & BKK), Chiang Mai (CNX) and Utapao (UTP) and Phuket (HKT).
- 🚞 the Train Station of Udon Thani is along the Northern North-East Railroad between Bangkok and Nong Khai and serves daily trains (also night trains).
- 🚌 from all major cities in North-East Thailand and of course from Bangkok but also from places like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and even Phuket.