|Overlooking Chiang Mai city, North Thailand|
This is part 42 of the 48 (out of the 77) of all the provinces in Thailand I have stayed at least 1 night. It must have been in 1998 that I took for the first time the night-train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and many train strips would follow in the next years. And later by car or motorbike exploring North Thailand with Chiang Mai as base. And I am still coming in Chiang Mai at least a few times a year. In Chiang Mai I always stay in the old center, easy to walk to restaurants. Although Chiang Mai downtown can keep you busy for a few days or a week, upcountry places like Chiang Dao and Doi Inthannon are great places to visit and even stay a few days.
Popular Travel Destinations
- Historical Downtown of Chiang Mai town
- Chiang Mai ZOO
- Zip-Line in the jungle of Chiang Mai (be careful!)
- Elephants Sanctuaries in Chiang Dao
- Doi Inthannon National Park
- Wat Doi Suthep
- Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden
- Night Safari
- Ban Tawai furniture village
- Sankampeng Umbrella Village
- Mae Kampong Waterfall
- Grand Canyon Chiang Mai
- Op Luang National Park
How to get to Chiang Mai province?
- 🚘 🛵 from Bangkok via route 32, route 1 and route 11
- ✈️ the Airport of Chiang Mai (CNX) is serving daily flights to Bangkok (BKK & DMK), Krabi, Surat Thani, Phuket, Udon Thani and International flights to China.
- 🚞 the Train Station of Chiang Mai is the end-station of the Northern Railroad between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
- 🚌 from all major cities in North Thailand and of course from Bangkok.
|Old photo of San Kampheng Unbrella Village (1998)|