When people tell you they are going to Bo Klua, they are actually going to Ban Bo Luang in Bo Klua district. Bo Klua is also written as Bo Kluea. And of course the Ancient Salt Pits of Bo Klua are just an excuse to go to Ban Bo Luang, a small village in north-east corner of Nan province. The real beauty of Bo Klua district lies of course in the remote, picturesque village of Ban Bo Luang in the scenic valley between the rugged mountains and jungle of Doi Phu Kha National Park bordering Laos. Bo Klua is about 90 km north of Nan town and is famous for its Ancient Salt Pits that are still producing salt the old fashioned way. In the old days Bo Klua's salt was an export product of the Nan Kingdom and the salt was sold to neighbouring kingdoms of Sukhothai, Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang. Going to Bo Klua is part of the journey as you will be going into the mountains up-to 1.715m high, passing stunning viewpoints, camping grounds and Doi Phu Kha National Park where you could go for hiking to waterfalls. Bo Klua is a perfect destination to stay for 1 or 2 nights and enjoy authentic slow life in a mountain village. Luckily Bo Klua is
not (yet) starts to be overrun by tourists but still hardly any western tourist make it to Bo Klua. In the cool season Bo Klua begins is a popular destination for Thai tourists, but the remote location keeps Bo Klua safe from becoming a place like Pai. Well I was wrong, changes are going fast even in Bo Klua. In 2021 they started & finished with road "improvements" in & around Bo Klua and the number of accommodations did explode. And since January 2022 there even is a 7-11 in Bo Klua!!! That marks the end of being a remote village. And it looks that you now can also rent scooters and even off-road motorbikes in Bo Klua!
For other places within Bo Klua district have a look at Ban Sapan and Ban Wen. If you want to travel in Thailand and need information or any help then contact me via de mail-link under at this travel blog.
How to get to Bo Klua?Although everybody speaks about Bo Klua you will actually be heading to Ban Bo Luang, what is the main village in Bo Klua district.
- By public transport you will first have to take the bus from Nan town to Pua and then in Pua change to a Songtheauw to Bo Klua. You can privately hire a Songtheauw so you can make a nice trip to Bo Klua and stop along the way when you want.
- By private car or motorbike just follow route 101 to Pua and then follow the signs for Doi Phu Kha National Park and follow route 1256 to Bo Klua.
For information about other places in Nan province click on their name below here.
|Ancient Salt Pits of Bo Klua|
What to do in Bo Klua district?The main attractions of Bo Klua are the laid back location of the village Ban Bo Luang between the mountains and the Ancient Salt Pits of Bo Klua. For motorbike riders Bo Klua is famous for its Bo Klua Motorbike Loop. Within Bo Klua district are Ban Sapan, Phu Fa, Ban Sop Muang and Ban Wen.
Other things to do in & near Bo Klua are :
- Hiking at Khun Nan National Park
- Swimming at Sapan Waterfall in the jungle of Khun Nan National Park
- See the Origin of the Nan River
- Wild Water Rafting in the Wa River (see Nam Wa Rafting Tours)
- Visiting Phu Fa Royal Project
- Bicycling in the valley of Bo Klua
For more things to do read my Travel Blog about Bo Klua
Food & Beverages in Bo Klua districtWell the best place for lunch or dinner is the restaurant of Bo Klua View Resort but there are a few other places to eat & drink like near the bus-stop or near the Ancient Salt Pits. Coffee Shops usually serve of course Hot & Cold drinks and sometimes they also serve Cakes or Thai snacks. For other places within Bo Klua district have a look at Ban Sapan and Ban Wen.
In Ban Bo Luang (Bo Klua town)
- Arpo De Marng Coffee Shop & Restaurant (along route 1081 north of town)
- Gin I Klua Restaurant & Coffee Shop (near the salt pits)
- Pongza Restaurant @Bo Klua View Resort 👍
- Salt Pit Coffee Shop
- Tao Tan Restaurant (along route 1081 south of town)
Along route 1081 from Bo Klua to Santisuk
Some of following places are actually in Pua district or Santisuk district but as you will be passing them riding from Bo Klua to Santisuk via route 1081 I will list them here at Bo Klua. The number of these coffee shops & restaurants is growing rapidly.
Accommodation in Bo Klua districtOne of the best & most famous resort is Bo Klua View Resort but there are a few other nice (and much cheaper) accommodations to be found in Bo Klua. In Bo Klua town (actually Ban Bo Luang) is some accommodation and south along the small river you will find more accommodation. But also south & north of Bo Klua town along route 1081 you will find some accommodation. And in the direction of Phu Fa you also will find some accommodation. For other places within Bo Klua district have a look at Ban Sapan and Ban Wen.
Price category :
฿ = Under 600 ฿ (Hostels, Guesthouse's)
฿฿ = 600 - 1.100 ฿ (Boutique hotels)
฿฿฿ = 1.100 - 3.000 ฿ (Midrange hotels)
฿฿฿฿ = 3.000 - 10.000 ฿ (Boutique hotels)
+ means at the high end of the price category
In & south of Bo Klua town (Ban Bo Luang)
- Arpo De Marng Resort & Camping ฿฿
- Boburi Homestay ฿฿฿+
- Bo Klua River Villa
- Bo Klua Fai Resort ฿
- Bo Klua View Resort 👍 ฿฿฿
- Bo Klua Kong Dang Resort 👍 ฿
- Comte de DuVieu Camping (along route 1081)
- EGAO Camp Bo Klua (along the dirt road)
- Hello Bo Kluea Bed & Breakfast
- Mon Sailom Homestay
- Phan Klong Homestay
- Phu Bodin Rim Wa (along route 1333)
- Phu Klua Home ฿฿
- Phu Keng Dao Homestay
- Phu Ping Mork Homestay
- PlaiMang Tangrak Resotel
- Lalaan Ta
- Lammang River View Bo Kluea
- Lomhaijai Homestay
- Silver Oak Valley
- Suan Rim Mang Camping
- The Seasons Hill Bo Klua (along route 1333)
Along route 1081 from Bo Klua town to Santisuk
Riding from Bo Klua to Santisuk via route 1081 you will be passing some accommodation places that are actually not within Bo Klua district, some are actually in Pua or Santisuk district. The number of these accommodation is growing rapidly.
Emergencies in Ban Bo Luang (Bo Klua town)
- District Hospital Bo Klua (along route 1256)
Gasoline stations in Bo Klua district
- A very small one at a shop near the Ancient Salt Pits
- A small PTT gasoline station about 10 km south of Bo Klua town (along route 1081)
- A new MT gasoline station about 11 km south of Bo Klua town (along route 1081)
Money in Bo Klua town (Ban Bo Luang)Since end 2019 there are finally a few ATM's in Bo Klua town in the main street near the famous Ancient Salt Pits.
Where to go next?
Map of Ban Bo Luang / Bo Klua town
Map of Bo Klua district
|Bo Klua district in Nan province, North Thailand|
Route from Nan town to Bo Klua town
|Route from Nan town to Bo Klua in North Thailand|
Disclaimer : All information is created in good faith and is an expression of fair comment.