Loei is the name of not only a small provincial town but also the name of one of the most off the beaten track province of Thailand with mountains and National Parks bordering Laos. Loei town is about 539 km from Bangkok or a bit more as 1 hour flying from Don Muang Airport in Bangkok. Loei town is a small modern town with a few restaurants and hotels, not really a destination for a holiday but a great base to stay while exploring the mountains of Loei province. My favourite thing to do in Loei town is in the late afternoon to go to the park and enjoy the sunset, walk along the food market and look people in the park.
|Sunset over the park lake in Loei town, North-East Thailand|
The highlights of Loei
Popular destinations in Loei
What to do in Loei?
- Visit Phue Ruea
- Shopping Walking Street in Chiang Khan
- Make a sunrise cruise on the Mekong River at Chiang Khan
- See sunrise from Phu Tok (wake up 5:00am)
- Climb Phu Kradung
- Go hiking at Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary
- For more tourist attractions see Tourist Attractions in Loei
- Have a look at Traveling 2 Loei in North-East Thailand
When to go to Loei?
Where to sleep in Loei?Within Loei province the 3 most visited places are Loei town, Chiang Khan, Phu Ruea and Dan Sai. In Loei town I like to stay at Loei Palace Hotel for a bit more comfort and a good breakfast buffet, but if you just need a place to lay your head I would recommend to go to King Hotel. In Chiang Khan my favourite place is Souk Samboon Guesthouse (the new rooms). And in Dan Sai my favourite place is Mountain View Resort or Loei Pan Mile Resort. For hotels in Loei province have a look at :
Where to eat & drink in Loei?In Loei town, along the so called lake in town are a few Thai restaurants as wel as near the round-about. For western food you could go to The Saloon Bar & Restaurant. Have a look at all places I did eat at Restaurants in Loei town. When I Chiang Khan I would recommend to go to a restaurant right along the Mekong River.
|Sunset over the Mekong River at Chiang Khan in North-East Thailand|
How to get there & around?
- ✈️ Loei has an airport (LOE) and is daily served with flights from Don Muang Airport Bangkok (DMK) by Air Asia and Nok Air and is located 5 km south of town.
- 🚌 Loei can be reached from any major city in Thailand. Bus station is at the south end of town.
- 🚘 🛵 All major highways to Loei are in good quality and safe to drive or ride.
- 🚞 Loei has no train station, nearest is in Phitsanulok or Udon Thani.
Where to go next from Loei?
- Nong Khai is 180 km north-east of Loei and is the border town to Laos along the Mekong River. Taking the long way to Nong Khai along the Mekong River would take about 233km but is worth the long detour. Especially for motorbike riding.
- Petchabun is 200 - 220 km south-west of Loei, depending on what route you take. Both routes are nice routes along mountains, National Parks and waterfalls.
- Nan is about 368 km along the Thai-Lao border, a stunning route passing mountains, old temples and waterfalls but a slow route due to all the small roads. The other route is 430km but goes faster. For more information about Nan province have a look at Destination Travel Guide Nan.
- Khon Kaen is about 206 km south-east of Loei and is partly a boring ride over route 12 but you could take a detour via the Erawan Caves and Ubolratana Lake.
- Udon Thani is about 150 km east of Loei.