Welcome to Chanthaburi province home of the durian, mangrove forrest, gem stones and beaches. Yes, Chanthaburi has something to offer for everyone, whether you like the beach, nature, culture or history. Chanthaburi has it all.
The capital town is of course Chanthaburi town, along the Chanthaburi River and Chanthaburi town is famous for its bustling weekend gem stones market. In Chanthaburi town, along the river is the historic center where restored buildings from years gone by show the influence from the Chinese, French and Vietnamese. Chanthaburi town is also famous for its influence of Christian Vietnamese who did build the largest Catholic church of Thailand, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. And Chanthaburi town is only 245 km from Bangkok, so it is easy to visit when you are in Bangkok. But Chanthaburi province is much more as its capital town. Follow me and explore Chanthaburi province!
If you are planning to travel in Thailand and need help with planning then send me a email at The Little Elephant in Thailand.
Read more about other destinations at DESTINATION TRAVEL GUIDES.
The highlights of Chanthaburi province
The highlights of Chanthaburi province are Chanthaburi town with the gem market, the old river side and the famous church. Upcountry between Sukhumvit road and the sea are mangroves and lagoons. And along the sea are many big & small beaches with Hat Chao Lao being the most famous one. Upcountry inland (north of Sukhumvit road) Chanthaburi province is famous for its mountains, waterfalls and durian plantations.
What to do in Chanthaburi province?
Popular destinations in Chanthaburi province :
- Chanthaburi town with Historical Center, Gem Stone Museum, Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and Sri Chan Road
- Leam Sing with Tuek Daeng (the Red Building) and Khuk Khi Kai (French jail)
- Nong Wong Fort with Maritiem Museum
- Beaches like Hat Chao Lao, Laem Sing, Laem Sadet or Kung Wiman
- Khao Soi Dao
- Fishing village Ko Proet.
- National Parks : Namtok Philo and Khao Khitchakut.
- Thai-Cambodian Border Markets : Ban Phakard, Ban Leam, Saton, Phanom Proek and Klong Hat.
- Scenic route along the coast (Chalerm Burapha Chonlathit road).
- Kung Krabaen Bay Mangrove Study Center.
- Kung Kraben Wildlife Sanctuary (they might enforce dual entrance fee price).
- Phairi Phinat Fort.
- Khao Laem Sing Forrest Park with Ao Krathing.
- Fruit markets along Sukhumvit road.
Traveling along the coast then have a look at A guide to the coastline of Chanthaburi province.
Explore Chanthaburi and have a look at all my other postings about Chanthaburi.
When to go to Chanthaburi province?
Of course you can travel to Chanthaburi province the all year around, the weather is as hot as everywhere in Thailand during the hot season of April and May. Then the monsoon season begins that lasts until end October with chance of heavy rains and some local flooding. But Chanthaburi province is famous for having more rain as example North Thailand or Northeast Thailand.
Where to sleep in Chanthaburi province?Within Chanthaburi province the most visited places are Chantaburi town, Hat Chao Lao, Laem Sing and Kung Wiman. Have a look HERE to see all accommodation where we did stay in Chanthaburi province. Searching for accommodation in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam? Read all my accommodation reviews at Sleeping.
Accommodation in Tha Mai
- Tha Mai Resort
- Kimber Hostel (actually a guesthouse)
Accommodation in Chanthaburi town
There are many hotels in Chanthaburi town, from simple guesthouses to boutique hotels. Staying in Chanthaburi town I would recommend to stay or near the Historic Center or near the lake in town.
- Maneechan Resort Chanthaburi (just out of town)
- Riverawan Hotel
- Am2Tree Hotel
- Kasemsarn Hotel
- The River Guesthouse
- Inn Chan Hotel
- New Travel Lodge
- Hop Inn Chanthaburi
Accommodation at Kung Wiman
- Peggy's Cove Resort
- Vanavaree Resort
- Kung Wiman Resort
- Al Medina Beach Resort
- See Khung Wiman Sea
- Vimantra Hotel
- Kung Wiman Pool Villa
- Ploen Wiman Homestay
Accommodation at Laem Sadet
- The Pier Resort
- Jungle Bay Resort
Accommodation at Hat Chao Lao
This are only the hotels really along the beach, but behind the beach is the main road where are also hotel.
- Maldives Beach Resort with The White Box Restaurant
- Metro Sand & Sea Resort
- Burapa Beach Resort
- Bird Beach Resort
- Blue River Resort with Blue River Cafe
- Pooma Resort (Pet Friendly)
- Home at Chan Hotel
- Baan Imm Sook Resort
- Baan Pun Sook Resort (Pet Friendly)
- Baan Toom (Pet Friendly)
- Chaolao Tosang Beach Resort with See Thru Restaurant
- Ing Talay 59 (Pet Friendly)
- iSea Glamping Cafe & Resort
- Chivaree Resort & Restaurant
- Rock Beach Resort
- Chaolao Cabana Resort with The Sea Cafe
- Nam Sai Resort
- Yajai Beach Resort
- Chaolao Sand & Dunes Beach Resort with The Shore Restaurant
- Beautiful The Sea Resort
- Villa Cha Cha Chaolao Beach Resort
- New Travel Beach Hotel
- Charm Chao Lao
Accommodation at Khung Kraben
Accommodation at Laem Khaem Nu
- Villa Phra Chan Resort
- Sea Coco Resort
- Four Pawns Dog Camp (human friendly)
- Windy Seaview
- Kod Talay Resort
- Baan Vitamin Sea
- The Iris Resort (Pet Friendly)
- Orawan House
- Sriphairin Resort
- Wandeedee House
- Baan Faa Talay Chan Resort
- Nuan Chan Resort
- Ban Pak Klomkyo 56
- Mok Mok House 2
- The Blue Hana Resort
- East Sea Pool Villa
- Gjamrai Pool Villa Resort
Accommodation at Hat Ao Yang
- Bamboo Garden House
- Ao Yang Resort
- The Cliff House Ao Yang
- Baan Sukhita
Accommodation at Laem Sing
- Laem Sing Natural Beach Resort
- Sangtong Beach Resort
- The Pride Hotel at Laem Sing
- Wangtong Beach Resort
- Baan Suratwadee Resort
- Chaiwat Resort
- Laem Sing Whitehouse Resort
- Laem Sing View Resort
- Sea Horadee Fullhouse Villa
- Chan Private Resort
Accommodation at Ko Proet
- Chamchoi Homestay
- Baan Fah Seekram Homestay
- Charoenkan Homestay
- Pu Talay Homestay
Where to eat & drink in Chanthaburi province?
See my postings about Restaurants & Coffee Shops in Chanthaburi province.
How to get around in Chanthaburi province?As everywhere in Thailand there are Songtheauws driving around to bring you anywhere. But the best is to have your own transport (car or motorbike).
How to get there?
- ✈️ Not by air as Chanthaburi has no airport, nearest airport would be in Trat (TDX)
- 🚌 Chanthaburi can be reached from any major city in Thailand.
- 🚘 🛵 Chanthaburi can be reached via Sukhumvit road (route 3) from Bangkok or via route 317 from Sa Kaeo.
- 🚞 Not by train as Chanthaburi has no train-station, nearest train-station would be in Sa Keao.
Where to go next from Chanthaburi?
- Depending where you are coming from you can go west to Rayong province with Koh Samet as prime destination. Or going east to Trat province with as prime destination Koh Chang, Koh Kuud and Koh Mak.
- Going north you would go to Sa Kaeo and Aranyaprathet (border with Cambodia).
Geographical location of Chanthaburi province
Chanthaburi province is geographically located along the Eastern coast of Thailand at the Gulf of Thailand. Chanthaburi province is surrounded by Rayong province in the west, Trat province in the east and Sa Kaeo province in the north.
Chanthaburi province in Thailand
Map of Chanthaburi town
Disclaimer : All information is created in good faith and is an expression of fair comment.